Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I am going to miss Ann

OK, I have too many friends dying.  One of the ladies in our church recently passed away after a long illness with cancer.  She was in her 80’s and had lived a very full life.  In our Sunday School Class we were discussing what we should strive to be like in the coming year.  We all agreed we should be more like Ann Self.  I had to share this story with the Sunday School Class.    
We were in the planning stages of building The Beacon a new multipurpose building at our church.  I was the chairman of the building committee and Ann was a member of the committee.  There was one church member who didn't agree with the project. Every time we turned around they had thrown up a new road block. I was on the verge of going and punching their lights out. Anne recognized this, made me a voodoo doll of this person and gave me a box of pins to stick in the doll. So told me to imagine all the pain this person was having every time I stuck in a pin. I had tremendous satisfaction every day when I inserted pins into knees, hips, elbows and head.  She helped me get thru a challenging time and have some fun doing it. It was a great life lesson.
She probably generated more excitement about the project than anyone else in the church.  She was one of those people who was always smiling and faced the world with a positive attitude.  I will never forget her and my voodoo doll.  

No comments:

Post a Comment