Monday, September 15, 2014

Sometimes one conversation can change your life

Today I am at Colonial Williamsburg.  Which is a place that changed my life.  Ok let me get here first. 

I left about a week ago to head to Old Salem and MESDA. http://www.mesda.org   Old Salem was good but not quite to the level of some of the other historic communities I have visited over the years.  But MESDA now that is another story.  They have one of the greatest collections of Secretaries and Book Cases I have ever seen.  I was only able to visit 8 of the 30 rooms they have.  You have to make reservations to see more of the collection.  So I think there is another trip in my future.  They also have a research center.  I was able to find numerous examples of cellarets, which I want to build.  Ok for the furniture challenged it is a whiskey box.  I was also able to find some good examples of Canterbury, which is also in my future.  Again for the challenged it is officially a music stand or more commonly seen as a magazine rack. 

I also attend the Woodworking Conference in America.  It was interesting, got to talk with a lot of the authors of books, magazine articles and bloggers.  The speakers at several of the sessions were from MESDA and they did a great job.  One of the more interesting was by a black guy who talked about a free black man furniture building in the early 1800’s.  Even though he was black he owned about 30 slaves and was the richest men in North Carolina.  Many of his works are in the museum.  The pieces are priceless.  The attendees the conference, well how am I going to put this were “less than cool groupies”, so it was an interesting crowd.  It was an interesting thing to do but I doubt I will do the conference again.  Most of the woodworking stuff is available on YouTube.

Today it was on to Williamsburg.  The first time I was here was in the mid 80’s for an ACEC conference.  I had connived to get myself on a committee so the company would have to send me to the annual meetings.  The senior partner supported the organization but the other partners thought it was a waste of production time to go to meetings. 

It was a great trip.  We had a few days together thanks to Carole’s sister keeping the boys.  The weather was beautiful, crisp fall days, leaves in full color.  We loved wandering up and down the streets of Williamsburg.  Carole loved the history; I loved the craftsmanship of the people working in the community.  It immediately became one of our favorite places to visit.  We came back several times afterwards.  Once was at Christmas to see all the decorations.  There were none!  Christmas was a religious holiday and they didn’t decorate.  Oh well it was still a great trip.

The conference had a trade show.  Over in the corner was a guy with an Apple Two running a CAD Program.  CAD was new technology and all the equipment was well over a $100,000.  It was interesting that they could make it work on an Apple.  I talked with the guy and he said it would be running on a PC sometime in the next few months.  We exchanged phone numbers and address (long time before email) and we talked many times over the next few months  A year or so later I bought one of their systems (serial number 144) and a few months after that started my own business. Two years later I was making almost ten times as much as I was when I left the previous firm.  That one meeting changed the course of my life.  I don’t know if I could have done what I have been able to do without that early adoption of technology.  It allowed me to be at home when the boys were growing up.  It gave Carole and me more flexibility to enjoy our lives. 


Sometimes just one conversation can change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment